Monday 29 March 2010

Chocolate & Ginger Frosted Brownies


I'm a bit late with this one - it was last Saturday's bake-up for taking to work. However, just as I'd finished frosting it, Oliver gave me a real scare and it resulted in a hospital trip to A&E. The brownies therefore never made for a tea-time treat for customers .... I did however give some to our next door neighbours.

Oliver had about 1/4 of one after his tea and polished the whole lot off !

The "lads" - (or should I say lad and old man :-P) at work helped polish the rest off today. Given the fact that one wasn't enough, I think these turned out a good success.

The recipe for the brownie bit is adapted from a Martha Stewart recipe. The frosting is something I've been tweaking for a while. I'll warn you now - the combination is subtle but rich.

INGREDIENTS

120 grams SALTED butter
100 grams chopped plain / bitter chocolate
1 cup sugar
2/3 cup plain flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
2 large eggs
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp vanilla extract
pinch ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon coarse salt (Maldon)

Preheat fan oven to 170deg C. Cook for 25mins approx

Line an 8 x 8 tin with buttered parchment - or use an 8 x 8 silicone tray mould. We're due 8 x 8 tray moulds to arrive end of April - early May - so I use a silicone liner (cut to size) inside my  8 x 8 standard tins at the moment. 

Melt butter and chocolate together at a low heat and stir until smooth. Remove from heat and stir in other ingredients.


Pour batter into prepared tray.



Bake until skewer comes out with moist crumbs.



Leave to cool for about 10 mins in the tin - then turn out on to a wire rack to cool fully before frosting.

FROSTING

100g cream cheese
70g of salted butter
50g of cocoa powder
75g melted bitter chocolate
220g icing sugar
1 x finely grated ball of stem ginger in syrup

beat cream cheese, butter and icing sugar and cocoa until smooth. Beat in melted chocolate and ginger
1/2 finely grated ball of stem ginger in syrup (to decorate). Refrigerate for 15 mins and beat again before spreading.

The frosting amount here is exactly what I put on top of the brownie pictured and was pretty thick ! Saying that - it's light and fluffy, and not overly sweet.

Sarah-Jane Nash - http://www.siliconemoulds.com/ - March 2010

5 comments:

  1. These really do look yummy and I am printing off the recipe to try them. I do hope your Oliver is ok.
    Tracey x

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look so delicious! Love the bitter chocolate with the cocoa and ginger also.

    Off the subject, I see you like Jodi Picoult also. Have you read her latest book? I haven't yet but will soon and am wondering how it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am imagining that I am licking my fingers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you - Oliver is better the last couple of days than he has been in months. Long may it continue !

    Mangocheeks - I love your blog. Never ceases to amaze me that you have such varied meals. We tend to stick to a couple of handfuls of favourites. Must use your inspiration and experiment more ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pam - yes - I DO like Jodi Picoult. I thought I'd read them all - didn't realise there was a new one. MUST go and look !

    So desparately want to see the My Sisters Keeper film. I missed it at the cinema - not really practical to go these days with a toddler

    ReplyDelete

I hope you have enjoyed my blog and found it useful. Please do leave any comments you may have - your feedback is much appreciated. Thanks for visiting !