Sunday 19 December 2010

Fresh Cream Chocolate Truffles - Fab Christmas Gift


On the final run up to Christmas, there is nothing that will put you in a more festive mood than making some homemade gifts. I'd be over the moon given some of these as a present and that's one of the reasons I like making them so much for others.

The better the ingredients you use, the better they taste. That's why I've used Callebaut Belgian Chocolate

These are really really easy to make and seriously knock spots off shop bought.

350g of good quality chocolate (dark, milk or plain)
1 cup of double cream
2 tablespoons of butter
* small amount of your favourite alchohol - can be ommitted

Extra chocolate for dipping (if required)
your choice of coatings for rolling (such as crushed nuts, cocoa powder, icing sugar...)

Put the cream in a pan and bring to the boil. Immediately, remove from the heat and our straight on to the chocolate. Keep stirring the chocolate and cream until all melted and combined. Stir in the butter until combined. If adding alcohol - you can add up to about 50ml now and stir to combine.

Put the ganache (chocolate truffle mix) into a bowl and refrigerate.

Roll small balls (or if you want to make big chocolates - a heaped teaspoon) of the ganache mixture. I like to lightly butter my hands as it makes the balls easier to roll. I wash my hand every 6 balls or so.

I put these on to a baking tray with a silicone baking sheet on top. If you haven't got one of these, you can use greaseproof paper. I then chill the balls again for 15 > 20 mins in the fridge whilst I melt my chocolate.


I made two batches of these today. One lot of white ganache with peppermint extract and one lot of milk chocolate ganache with whisky.

Oliver came and sneaked a white chocolate minty one off the kitchen side... He came into the kitchen, got his stool and climbed up beside me. "Oooooh - Mummy makes sweeties !" he jabbered before nabbing a chocolate and beetling off at warp speed ...

I dipped the truffles in melted chocolate first and then set aside again to harden before dipping a second time for a thicker coat. The second coat is much smoother than the first and gives a lovely finish. The chocolate hardens quickly as the ganache has already been chilled.

With the ones rolled in cocoa, I dipped only once in chocolate and then rolled them in the cocoa using two forks for a really rustic finish. It makes them big, gutsy and luxurious. These are at least two bites !

If you prefer a smoother finish and do not want to dip in chocolate, You cna simply roll into balls and then coat in cocoa, icing sugar or crushed nuts for a really nice finish  and amazing perfect spherical truffles.

Dipping in melted chocolate gives a lovely texture and a "crack" when you bite into

Of course - you could always use many of our silicone chocolate moulds.... Coat the inside of the chocolate mold with chocolate and leave to harden. Then, fill with the ganache before it is refrigerated and firm. Top with a little more melted chocolate to create the base and seal.

Sarah-Jane Nash, http://www.siliconemoulds.com/ - December 2010

9 comments:

  1. I do love truffles, especially when they are dipped in chocolate! I love that crack when you bite in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My oh my, these look wonderful!
    Love truffles!!! What a scrumptious blog! Merry Christmas!
    Lorraine

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore truffles, I came over to say hi from Chef Dennis'. I love those sugar cookies ornaments too. Happy Holidays!
    -Gina-

    ReplyDelete
  4. you make me want to make some and I would if I neednt watch my diet (cholesterol :(..

    I ALWAYS enjoy,the little snippets about Oliver. It makes your story so real and alive and so cute!! :P

    xoxo

    zurin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your truffles look amazing - so professional! You could set up a little side line business selling those

    ReplyDelete
  6. Merry Christmas to you all.

    Thank you all for your comments and for visiting.

    Truffles are actually a very simple and easy thing to make. Always well received as gifts too.

    I'm sure I probably could sell them - they're popular enough... but with so many other things to do, I can't see that one happening.

    Strangely enough, despite making a stack of these for Christmas gifts, I've been good and only eaten one. When making them for gifts for others I'm not prone to eating them thankfully. It's just a case of making sure you don't have too many left over :-P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sarah Jane I love truffles and I love allthe things you have here. Your molds are amazing!

    I came from Chef Dennis!
    Have a lovely Christmas! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  8. you are pro for truffles, looks like store brought and very elegant gift pack :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello to all those of you who are new visitors from Chef Dennis's super blog. Isn't he a treasure ? I think we're all lucky to know him.

    Shucks, my truffles are pretty RUSTIC looking and definitely not petite - but I guarantee they taste good :-)

    Keep an eye on the blog - there is a Christmas competition coming up very shortly

    ReplyDelete

I hope you have enjoyed my blog and found it useful. Please do leave any comments you may have - your feedback is much appreciated. Thanks for visiting !