Friday 20 July 2012

Awesome Slow Cooked Belly Pork With Jerk Sauce


Well - this is a pretty awful photo, taken on my phone - but I simply had to log down the recipe for this sauce!

I found a recipe that looked good in this month's Waitrose magazine - and then promptly changed a few ingredients to put my own twist on it.

Dinner was rather late tonight. I need to learn to either keep slow cooked things for the weekend or the slow cooker ...

There wasn't much to the meat really - it was a piece of belly pork (approx 1kg) with the rib removed from underneath and the skin well scored. I rubbed in a little oil, followed by about 4 > 5 generous teaspoons of Sainsbury's Jerk seasoning.

I then cooked the meat at 220deg C fan with skin side down for 30 mins. Turn over and cook at 150deg C for 80 minutes. Turn over again and do a final 20 mins or so at 220deg C to get the cracking good and crispy.

I cooked the rice in my electric pressure cooker, at pressure for 7 minutes.

 1 cup of washed rice, 1 cup of water and 3/4 cup of coconut milk. When ready, I stirred in 1 cup of cooked garden peas.

The sauce was the exciting thing. I just poured a little over the top. It's thick and rich and would work amazingly well as a dipping sauce or in sandwiches or wraps. Due to the ingredients, it should easily keep for a couple of months in the refrigerator. I'll definitely be making and bottling some of this for presents this Christmas.

The recipe below makes a good amount. Enough to serve with the meat and about half let over :-)

EASY JERK SAUCE

250g tomato ketchup (I used Heinz)
2 generous tablespoons of honey
2 generous table spoons of black treacle
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp garlic granules
TWO (just two) drops of Dave's Insanity Sauce  - darn hot chilli sauce !

If you don't have Insanity Sauce, use tabasco to taste.

Put all the ingredients in a saucepan. Add approx 100ml of water and stir well. Bring to a simmer for about 5 mins until thickened. 

Either use hot on pulled pork or similar - or refrigerate and use as you would tomato sauce.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah
    That looks yummy...!! My partner is of Jamacian decent and we eat a lot of Jerk chicken,pork and lamb (curry goat).
    We cook our rice with the coconut milk but we use black eyed peas instead of green peas..!! Soak the peas overnight in enough water to cover them add a skellion (spring onion) trimmed but whole then the next morning the peas will have swelled add half a block or half a can of coconut milk and bring gently to the boil till the peas are soft add a teaspoon salt then add your washed white rice stir the rice to distribute the peas evenly add enough water to just cover the rice and simmer on a very low heat till the rice is puffed up and cooked..!!! Tastes really good proper Jamacian rice & peas...!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Emma. I hear kidney beans are also used for traditional Jamacian rice and peas - but unfortunately I had no pulses in the cupboard and made do with what was in the freezer.

    I dare say this is not traditional Jamacian - but it was very yummy. I'll definately give your rice recipe a go. Have you got any good Jamacian recipes worth a go ?I'd love to try....

    Thanks for taking the time to comment

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah-Jane,
      is a pleasure to comment I love your blog and your moulds..!!! Am hoping to buy some of you letter moulds to make a cake for my friends son..!! Will have to take some pics...!!
      Doesnt matter that its not traditional your Jerk Sauce sounds lush..Deffo gonna give it a go..Will use Encona Hot Pepper Sauce (Wich is made with Scotch Bonet Peppers..also extreamly hot...!!) instead of Daveys.
      Yes Kidney Beans are used as well..!! As I said to my Godsons when I taught them how to make Jerk Chicken (which they love and still demand now..!!) Every families recipe for Jerk Chicken is different..every one has their own way of making it..I have adapted my mother in laws methods and recipe to make it less spicy for my boys (Aged nearly 3 and 6yrs old).
      Will post some other recipes on here when I have more time (joy of the summer hols....!!)
      My son wanted to make Banana Buns yesterday so I used Gran T's Recipe and the oil rather than the butter and surfice to say I made about 27 from your recipe and there are now 3 left...!! lol
      They came out of my silicone cupcake moulds so easily and are sooooo moist...I did use 2 duck eggs tho...!!
      Am gonna make an adults Banana Bread in a loaf tin but sub the milk for Wray & Nephew 100% Proof White Jamaican Rum.....!!!! My mother in Law used to make a similar one was a plain sponge version....and that was potent believe me...!! lol So will be interesting to see how that works out...!!1
      Umsurprisingly I already have a list of willing tasters...! lol

      Delete
    2. Glad to hear you liked the banana loaf recipe. It's a lovely one. I often sub the milk for some Bailey's Irish cream liqueur.

      Looking forward to belly pork again this weekend :-)

      Delete
  3. Belly pork is just the best, isn't it!

    Re pink pralines - MSK, the link is in my blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, this recipe has got two favourites of mine. Pork belly and jerky! I usually have beef jerkies but this one looks just as scrummy. Bookmarking because I would love to make this for a party next weekend. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you have enjoyed my blog and found it useful. Please do leave any comments you may have - your feedback is much appreciated. Thanks for visiting !