Wednesday 11 April 2012

Apple and Rhubarb Springtime Pie


How inspiring it is to see the sun!

Today, I decided to check out the fridge. I had 4 large brambly cooking apples and some rhubarb needing to be used up, so I thought I may as well make something really nice with them. Forget the calories for just this once.... there's nothing to beat a lovely, juicy, crunchy, fruit pie!

As I reached for the rhubarb I found a packet of supermarket pastry that my husband had bought recently....was that a HINT?  I've only ever made my own pastry, but I thought I'd give it a go.

Apple and Rhubarb Springtime Pie

(British Apple Strudel?)

I turned on the oven to pre-heat at 200 deg

The pastry was a bit stiff. You are meant to let it 'come to room temperature', it said, but I decided to 'wing it'..... so out came my trusty silicone mat! 
www.siliconemoulds.com

The pastry cracked as I rolled it, then it got a little moist and sticky to touch.... but no worries, it rolled a treat.

I cut the apples and rhubarb into big chunks and put into a greased baking dish, adding rather a lot of sugar.  I filled in the pastry cracks and covered the dish holding the apples and rhubarb, lining the top edges of the dish with strips of pastry to give it a thicker rim.


Rolling out pastry on a mat is a 'breeze'!

With the pastry trimmings I re-rolled (above) and 'cut' strips for the top of the pie. I used the BACK of a knife, and very gently at that, because a knife would damage my precious mat!



The pastry pack said 10 minutes in the oven, but I knew it would be longer with all the fruit.

After about 10 minutes I turned it down to 180, and about 10 minutes later it was READY!


I didn't take too many photos - my mouth was watering too much to wait......

Serve - with a good dollop of fresh cream or creme fresh!

mmmmm.....nectar!    


(I'm now wondering if it was really Sarah-Jane's Apple Strudle which had unconciously inspired me?)


Have a wonderful springtime!
Helen x

Wed.11th April 2012
www.siliconemoulds.com


2 comments:

  1. YUM! Looks absolutily delicious! I can imagine how good it is it fresh cream!! Heavenly! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm, love pies. Really miss our rhubarb which just doesn't seem to want to grow - I might just have to raid my mother's patch ;-)

    ReplyDelete

I hope you have enjoyed my blog and found it useful. Please do leave any comments you may have - your feedback is much appreciated. Thanks for visiting !