Tuesday 12 April 2011

Cinnamon and Vanilla Jellies


I've been meaning to have a go at making jellies for some time. I found Jelly Shot Test Kitchen from browsing other blogs and they have so many super jelly ideas and colours using alcohol. The queen of jellies however has to be Ann Low of Anncoo Journal and mine are rather boring compared to her awesome creations like the Fancy Hearts Jelly below


I'll need to have another go with jellies sometime soon and follow Ann's super instruction guide !


Anyway, I made these funky little jellies using Jelly Shot Test Kitchen and Anncoo Journal for inspiration. I used the FLORAL & FANCY CHOCOLATE SET 2 for these. The name for the silicone mould is a bit off putting I suppose as it can be used for making little cakes, jellies or ice cubes as well as chocolates.

 

As you can see, it has 12 cells, all with very different designs. Some floral and most of them fancy ! I so want to make some little cakes with this mould soon.

 

Recipe - Cinnamon & Vanilla Jellies (no alcohol)

2.1/2 cups of water
1 tin condensed milk (397g)
2 > 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 vanilla pod
7 leaves of platimum grade gelatin

If your mould is brand new, oil it well and then wipe off all residue with some kitchen roll. Place the mould on top of a baking tray to make it easy to get in and out of the fridge !

Put 1 cup of water and the gelatin leaves aside in a bowl.

Put the rest of the water in a pan, along with the cinnamon and vanilla pod / seeds. Bring the water to a simmer and then remove from the heat.

Remove vanilla pod. Add gelatin and water from bowl and stir to disolve. But back on a very low heat and add the condensed milk, stirring all the time. As soon as combined, remove from the heat. Pour into prepared mould. I used two moulds for mine. I made these almost two weeks ago - and to be honest, can't remember if I had any mix left over.

Allow to set for a few hours in the fridge.

I found that the jellies released late that evening were far easier to work with than the ones that had only been left a couple of hours. To get them out easily, I dipped the moulds in hot water for a few seconds. That sounds easier said than done - don't forget that silicone bakeware moulds are very flexible. I found that the best way to do this was to put approx 1" of very hot water in the bottom of the sink. I could then dunk the mould in without the water coming over the top. It needed about 5 seconds.

Turn upside down over a baking tray and gently release one jelly at a time. I popped these back in the fridge to make sure they had a chance to totally stiffen up before moving them again. They were easy to pick up and move without damage as you can see.




These cinnamon and vanilla jellies did not last long at all. Each were about two good sized mouthfulls and it's easy to eat about 3 in a go ! They are very different from ordinary jellies and tasted rather grown-up. 

Next time I play with jelly I want to make some multi coloured layer ones !

Sarah-Jane Nash, April 11 - http://www.siliconemoulds.com/ - the online silicone bakeware cookshop.

4 comments:

  1. What cute little jellies! I love the flavor combo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your jellies are so adorable. love the different designs. thanks for sharing Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so adorable! I love all the different shapes, it works perfect for little treats like this. I've never had jelly with condensed milk but I can just imagine how great they tasted. Anne is always so creative with her desserts. I have to give yours a try my husband loves cinnamon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All of what you did looks delicious. liked it very much. I follow you now. I have parties and cookies turkey hazırlıyorum.http: / / partivakti.blogspot.com. greetings

    ReplyDelete

I hope you have enjoyed my blog and found it useful. Please do leave any comments you may have - your feedback is much appreciated. Thanks for visiting !