Friday 13 August 2010

Spiced Beetroot & Orange Chutney


I found the recipe for this in BBC Good Food Magazine late last year and made a batch then. It was so good that I immediately made another and used up the last of my home grown beetroot.

A batch is fairly large and makes 8 x 8oz jars - plus about 1/2 a jar to spare. This year, I've purposely grown extra beetroot simply to make this. It went down a bomb in hampers last Christmas. It's gorgeous with biscuits and cheese or cold meat and fresh bread - or with salads. I think we went through about 4 jars when visiting my mum's last Christmas holidays in under a week !

I modified the recipe a bit to suit what I had available. It worked so well, I've contined to do so.

1200g raw beetroot, peeled and diced into small pieced
300g raw carrots, peeled and diced
3 onions , chopped
3 medium bramley cooking apples
zest and juice 3 oranges
2 tbsp white or yellow mustard seeds
1 tbsp coriander seeds
1 tbsp ground cloves
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
700ml cider apple vinegar
700g granulated sugar

Cook all of the above in a very large pot or maslin pan until juices are reduced and beetroot tender. I think it took about an hour. Bottle into sterilised jars.... I used 8.
I made one batch a day or two before I made the caramels and have never got round to posting the photos or recipe. If you like beetroot, you'll adore this. I think this is my favourite way of eating beetroot ever. My husband isn't a fan of the stuff. He's away camping tomorrow, so dinner for me may just have to be some homemade crackers with cheese and this glorious, heavenly beetroot chutney.


Sarah-Jane Nash - silicone bakeware http://www.siliconemoulds.com/ / wood burning stoves from http://www.naturalheating.co.uk/

5 comments:

  1. This chutney just looks amazing Sarah! teh colour is so vibrant n colour is almost everything to me..lol....

    how lovely to grow your own vegetables..I wish I had the space and then the discipline. BBC food magazine is my favourite food magazine. I have bought a few an d I find them chockfull of wonderful and very doable recipes. Love all those British chefs too :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your chutney looks delicious! Love the mix of ingredients and it sounds like a great dinner you had to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't tell you how good this stuff is... really and truly. Even for non-chutney loving people. Let them try this and watch the jar empty in one sitting !

    Didn't realise you could get the Good Food magazine in Malaysia. It is pretty good. I've got a subscription - so it comes every month.

    Wait until you see my crazy cake Zurin if you like colour ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant color and recipe, oh i envy you Sarah for you grow all veggies in ur farm.....oh i wish to visit one day for some photoshoot :) sorry am obsessed in taking pictures in farm :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ananda - you would be most welcome. At the moment I'm searching for vegetables amongst weeds. Time has been too short this year and a struggle to maintain the vegetable plants. Saying that, the courgettes, beetroot and squashes have done well. Beans have recently been destroyed by high winds. The potatoes will be coming up shortly (late planting). Onions were ruined by rust this year. Not the worst - but could be better ! Never mind...

    ReplyDelete

I hope you have enjoyed my blog and found it useful. Please do leave any comments you may have - your feedback is much appreciated. Thanks for visiting !