Saturday 12 November 2011

Loaded Apple Spice Muffins (low fat content) FOODBUZZ #5 14/11/11



I was totally taken in by the stunning images on Anncoo Journal of some wonderful Italian apple cupcakes. Gosh – they looked so good I visually ate the lot off the screen. The ingredients list was awesome too. There was whacking great amount of butter – bound to make any cake taste good.... but not exactly easy on the waistline. Then again, what cake doesn’t add inches to your waistline. Blimey. I’m sure just thinking about it makes mine expand.


Hmm. My apple trees did well this year. I’ve got a fridge drawer full of Bramleys, a shelf full of Empire Reds and a car load of Jonagolds. Apples are bountiful in England in the autumn and winter months. I’ve been good. I don’t each much cake these days. I’ve got an abundance of apples begging to be used. How many excuses does a fat girl (trying to get thin) need to bake ?

I’ve waited a week.

“Mummy .... I need to bake cake !” a little voice chirps up and a fluffy blond head pops round the door.

One. Just one. That’s all the excuse I need.

Three years ago, I was convinced I was going to have a little girl. I had dreams of riding ponies together and threading daisy chains on the grass. Instead, I was nurturing a little boy that would love mud and cars. I worried as he’s start to grow up, all he would want was to spend all his time with Daddy.

 That may well happen.... buy my little boy loves mud, and cars and BAKING with Mummy.

Sure, this is cake, compared to Ann’s amazing Italian Apple Cakes, it’s much lower in fat. That does NOT mean eat six. Don’t eat cake in excess. You’ll get fat. Don’t sue me – I warned you !

 RECIPE

Makes 12 > 14
255g all purpose flour
3tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
good couple of pinches nutmeg
good pinch of ground cloves
150g granulated sugar
90mls oil
150mls milk
1 beaten egg
350g finely cored and finely sliced apples ( I used some small Empire Reds, peel left on)
agave nectar (or warmed golden syrup) to glaze

Sift dry ingredients together.

In a separate bowl or jug, mix the wet ingredients together. Combine wet and dry ingredients, (taking care not to over mix) folding in the mass of apples in the final few strokes. It will look like mainly apples and not much batter !

Spoon into standard size cupcake / muffin paper cases in a muffin tray or silicone muffin mould. These need filling more or less to the top. There is so little batter in relation to apples that these muffins aren’t going to give a great rise.

Bake for approx 22mins at 180deg C fan oven until tops are golden and a cocktail stick comes out clean.

Glaze the top with some agave syrup brushed onto the tops of the hot muffins. Allow to cool and serve.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On leaving the house this morning, I put one of these in these in the fridge for Oliver. We’d made 14, though next time, I’ll use the batter to make just 12. Oliver had already demolished one still a little warm before we left. 

Twelve left.

I put the baking tray with the silicone mould containing the muffins on the back seat of the car. I didn’t box them up, as they were still a little warm. I wanted to take them into work to photograph and figured that the lads that work with me would find resisting these futile. What I didn’t forsee was that only 10 would make it to work.

I know what you are thinking.

The smell of my car was amazing. The wafts of warm spices cheered me up no end. Nothing like the smell of Christmassy spices to lift your soul. It made me hungry too.

The tray bounced and slid as I cursed and hit a pot hole that had escaped my notice. The tray slid and two muffins out and hit the floor. Only 10 lots of temptation remained.

I set my lightbox up on a table in the stove showroom to take a few snaps. I didn’t think it would take long before my colleagues would start coming to look at what I had in there. But it wasn’t Colin that was first (despite the fact he usually is). Nor Richard, or Martin. It was a little boy that came in the door with his mum to buy a fire grate as I was just starting to take some photos.

“I’m hungry!” he piped up.

Not much time for photos – they were a little hurried to say the least. I now wish I'd taken some more.

 The little boy and his mum had a cake. Colin, Richard and Martin had a cake. Another customer coming in had a cake as did I .... and the postman. The last two ? I don’t know where they went !

I didn’t eat them. I SWEAR I didn’t eat them.

Wherever they went, that has to be the most amazing fastest cake disappearance I’ve ever seen. Five minutes max and ...... gone.

The paper muffin / cupcake cases are a new design just in. You can find the RED DOTTY HEARTS paper cases here in standard 50mm size.

Sarah-Jane Nash, November 2011 - www.siliconemoulds.com - silicone bakeware moulds.

Thanks for voting for these in the Foodbuzz top 9 !


11 comments:

  1. Oh Sarah dear, I'm so touched to read this... almost in tears... :D You're the sweetest person to share your cakes to anyone. Please make sure you bake another batch for yourself and I definitely want to make your version with lot of spices.
    Have a pleasant day :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha! Perfect recipe for the bag of windfalls I have in the fridge. Thanks Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound so yummy, I love that they are low fat too! Especially with the holidays coming I need all the help I can get. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah...Yea i saw this italian apple cake on Anncoo's blog too and your version is just as good as hers...lots more spices...yea christmas is just around the corner , great idea to bake this for christmas too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. muffins look delicious and the recipe sounds perfect! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ann - you are most welcome. It's always a huge pleasure to cook another blogger's recipe or to use it as inspiration. Unfortunately, my photo really does no justice !

    To everyone else - many thanks for the comments and for making me Foodbuzz #7 this morning. They're so easy to make and taste fantastic too. This recipe is in my list of long term "keepers"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, these look way too good to be true & low-fat! Lovely recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These sounds so perfect for the season! So I can't eat 6, but I can eat 5 then? =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmm, I love the sound of all that lovely spice!
    xo
    http://allykayler.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I hope you have enjoyed my blog and found it useful. Please do leave any comments you may have - your feedback is much appreciated. Thanks for visiting !