Monday 31 January 2011

Chocolate Souffles - from The Comfort of Cooking


This was my first ever attempt at making souffle of any type, shape or form and was inspired by a guest post from Georgia of THE COMFORT OF COOKING as a featured blogger on Chef Dennis' MTMF

Do have a go at Georgia's recipe. I've got a funny feeling that perhaps I had the oven a little hot or perhaps cooked mine a little long. They were volcanic and in massive proportion ! Making this again, I'd either 1/2 the recipe or make 4 smaller ones as I really did struggle to try and scoff one of these and couldn't finish it.

Georgia makes hers beautiful and refined. Mine were rather rustic in appearance.....

After removing from the oven, I dusted them with some cocoa powder. They did sag a little - but at least did not sink before being eaten.


These enormous monsters came out the oven ! Below is what went in....


After this picture, I did run a teaspoon handle round the inside of the rim. I believed that was meant to give a good rise and an even top. They rose alright - to epic proportions - but the tops went a bit crazy.

Any ideas where I went wrong ?

Not bad for a first ever souffle though !

Sarah-Jane Nash - http://www.siliconemoulds.com/  - Feb'11

9 comments:

  1. They look delicious Sarah!! I have never attempted souffles. Yet. A little too frightening and stressful I imagine. Esp if I have to photograph it as well. but yours are beautiful and who cares if they rise to Epic proportions....all the better I wld say!

    I can imagine Oliver crooning over them :))).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be honest, I have never made an actual souffle before, so I can't tell you what went wrong. Maybe go onto Georgia's site and ask her..she's really good at responding to people!
    Big or not, they still look good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look fantastic! I'm so impressed, brilliant baking. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Zurin - like you, I'd never attempted souffles before. Too scary. Even if they are a bit cracked up on top, I was pretty pleased with them and they were EASY !!!

    I was NOT prepared for photographing them.... so not the nicest of photos.

    Jenn - thanks, I will. One of those things on my bucket list of things to cook. Least I've had a bash now.

    Astral - going to email you. Been making teddy bears tonight :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,

    Thanks for stopping by and letting me know that you tried the souffles. They look gorgeous! Could you please change my name to "Georgia" though? I'm not sure where you got Gloria from.

    Thank you,
    Georgia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not bad at all! I've never tried making souffle. Though, I must say, your souffles looks very good despite their 'explosive' tops!
    You have a lovely site by the way!
    xx,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow- these are absolutely stunning! I don't think many people would complain about too much chocolate souffle!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Tammy / Leslie :-)

    Georgia, I'm SO sorry. I knew your name was Georgia.... so why I originally typed "Gloria" I have absolutely no idea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My first souffles was such a big failure, this is stunning, should try!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you have enjoyed my blog and found it useful. Please do leave any comments you may have - your feedback is much appreciated. Thanks for visiting !