Friday, 24 August 2012

It Isn't Carrot Cake Muffins ..... It's Apple.... !

I've been stuck at home this week, and some of last week.... literally.

Mostly because my little Bogwoppit (Oliver) has been very poorly indeed with a chest infection - but latterly also due to the fact that my pick up truck died on the driveway and had to be trailered to the garage. It's looking like an expensive repair... :-(

Oliver has barely eaten in a couple of weeks - though now he's on penicillin, is starting to improve.

"All I would like is a carrot cake please Mummy"

Hmm - when your child is as miserable as this, hasn't eaten all day (it's 5pm) and requests carrot cake, what are you going to do ? Make carrot cake of course !

Well - I went to the fridge and had a root around. Stacks of vegetables - but only two carrots. Rather rubbery, shrivelled and bendy carrots at that. They weren't going to be much good to make carrot cake - now were they .....

Being as I live miles from anywhere, had a poorly little boy and no car, improvisation was the order of the day.

They smelled glorious when I took them out the oven and I glazed the tops with a little warmed honey.

As I was taking these photos, Oliver had fallen asleep. There was a noise outside and a rap on the door.

HOORAY ! The local garage had turned up unannounced  and unexpected with a courtesy car. I can go on my chocolate making course tomorrow now after all !

As they handed me the keys, I handed them a plate with 6 warm apple muffins - also unexpected and just as welcome. Smiles all round.

"Is my carrot cake ready yet Mummy?" a little voice pipes up.

"Yes Honey. Sort of......"

Basically, this is my favourite carrot cake recipe, baked into muffins... but substituting apples for the carrots. When I make carrot cake, I'd normally use orange juice and zest and some more cinnamon plus a good big handful of raisins. Otherwise, it's as below : 



280g plain flour
140g sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2 tsp salt
3 tsp ground cinnamon
1 egg
90ml apple juice - or sub with other fruit juice
360g coarsely grated apple
1 tsp vanilla essence
100ml vegetable oil

Add nuts or raisins if wished.

Add oil and juice together and mix in the egg with a fork. To this, add the grated apple.

Sift all the dry ingredients and add wet ingredients to the bowl. Mix in roughly with a wooden spoon - only until combined. Spoon into a lined tin or paper cupcake cases in a 12 cell silicone muffin mould or tin

Use a 12 hole silicone muffin mould and line with paper cake cases / liners. The moulds and paper case are available from our online shop at

These will look rather full as below.
 Due to the huge amount of apple (or carrots if you have any) - these don't rise very much.

Bake at 175deg C fan for 20mins. Glaze with warm honey or agave nectar on removing from the oven.

Enjoy !

1 comment:

  1. These look lovely and I bet they were great with apple. Hope Oliver feels better soon. :)


I hope you have enjoyed my blog and found it useful. Please do leave any comments you may have - your feedback is much appreciated. Thanks for visiting !