Sunday 20 May 2012

Little Viennese Whirl Cookies / Biscuits


These are so adorably small and something that would not look out of place on a cake stand when serving afternoon tea.

I've always been a fan of viennese whirls. They're buttery and melt in your mouth.

Recipe is adapted from Olive Magazine (May 2012)

Made 17 cookies (34 pieces)

175g soft salted butter
90g icing sugar
1 tsp rosewater
175g plain flour
80g cornflour
50ml water

Beat together the butter, icing sugar and rose water. Mix in the rest of the ingredients to form a smooth, paste like dough. Mix it enough to combine, but work as little as possible.

Put in a piping bag with a small star nozzle and pipe whirls of approx 2" / 50mm diameter.


As you can see, I piped mine on to the large side of my red double sided macaron mat. Yes - these are great for baking cookies too ! The recipe was enough to make 36 pieces / 17 cookies when filled. The benefit is that all your cookies end up the same size and the markings are already on the mat so you can space evenly and get lots on one tray.

Bake at 150 > 160deg fan for approx 10 minutes until just beginning to get a little colour, but still pale.



Allow to cool for 3 or 4 minutes, then remove and place on a wire rack until fully cooled.

FILLING

To fill, I used most of a jar of warmed and sieved strawberry jam. I them boiled it for a few minutes to thicken a bit more.

I spread some of the jam on  the back of one biscuit, and some buttercream on the other and sandwiched together. Yum !

7 comments:

  1. Wow they look so pretty and delicious! I want one now as breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This type of biscuit is the best - so buttery and light!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! These are lovely :) They are so cuto! I'd probably fill mine with some raspberry jam. YUM

    By the way...did you send rain my way! It's like a tropical storm down here all of a sudden!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look so gorgeous. I have decided I can no longer live without one of those macaron moulds so have ordered one....hope it arrives in time for our hols in France where I can enjoy playing with it !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look so pretty and tasty!!! Love the macaron mat... didn't even know they made them. Pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've not made biscuits in months. I guess the button cookies spurred me along. The best bit is putting the jam and buttercream in the middle and squishing them together :-)

    Sweetstuff & Caked Crusader - thanks for the comments

    Parsley Sage - raspberry would likely have been my choice had I actually had any. Definately my favourite jam :-) We probably did send you rain. It's been sunny here the last couple of days which has been such a welcome treat.

    Jean - lets hope Royal Mail get the mat to you good and quick. I use mine for so many things. Have a great holiday in France. I can't imagine it not being possible :-)

    S.V - yes - they are one of my own designs = a unique creation by www.siliconemoulds.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes! Yum is the perfect word for these! They look so pretty too. That mat is definitely on my wishlist now.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you have enjoyed my blog and found it useful. Please do leave any comments you may have - your feedback is much appreciated. Thanks for visiting !