Monday 15 August 2011

Chocolate Cupcakes (eggless)


This is a really easy recipe for delicious, moist and fluffy cupcakes. It uses neither butter or eggs and is quick to make.

I've made it a few times now over the last year, but first time blogging the recipe. It is not overly sweet (until you top it with an enormous calorific mountain of chocolate buttercream) ! It's become my first choice recipe for chocolate cupcakes.

Martha Stewart's chocolate cupcake recipe is great too - but makes a massive batch of approx 24, whereas this recipe makes me a perfect 10 (quantity - unfortunately not dress size) and is very easy to scale up or down.

The original recipe was vegan, from the book VEGAN CUPCAKES TAKE OVER THE WORLD and can be found here. Talking of which, I've just ordered a copy :-)


Incase you are wondering where those seriously cute chocolate buttons came from, it's a new mould to our collection. This particular silicone mould is my own design and is now available online. Makes super cupcake toppers - or wonderful buttons simply to munch. They also look awesome packaged as a gift ..... if you can bear to give them away !

There are three sizes of buttons in the mould and 18 cells (six of each size). With the larger cells, you cna use a teaspoon to put the chocolate in the cell - but a piping bag (or food bag) with the tiniest snip out of the corner is needed to fill the tiny baby button cells. The big cells are similar to a coat button and the smallest, baby buttons or shirt buttons.


RECIPE - Adapted from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World

1 cup of milk
1 tsp cider vinegar
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup plain flour
2 tbsp cornflour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
good pinch of salt

Heat oven to 170deg C fan / 180deg C normal / 350deg F

Prepare your muffin mould or tin with paper cases

Put the vinegar into the milk and set aside for a few minutes to curdle. If really cold milk, it won't curdle straight away - so I zap it in the microwave for a few seconds.

Whisk the milk, other wet ingredients and sugar together.

Stir in dry ingredients and whisk until smooth (the odd small lump is ok).

Transfer into a jug and pour into paper cases to 3/4 fill. I found 10 was perfect - left some space at the top below the wrapper rim for frosting base. If you want your cupcakes a little higher (less buttercream), just make 9 instead

See Chocolate Mud Cake blog entry for the frosting recipe

Enjoy ! (PS - you're fighting Oliver for the beaters. I don't rate your chances !!!)

Oliver's quote of the day : "Mummy - don't forget the bit out the concrete mixer is mine!"
Concrete mixer being the beater from my gorgeous red Kitchenaid..... This is so NOT concrete !

Sarah-Jane Nash, August 2011 - www.siliconemoulds.com

18 comments:

  1. amazing chocolate cupcakes! Love the chocolate buttons!! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious! The chocolate buttons are adorable! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These cupcakes look amazing! Love the buttons!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cupcakes look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. awww, Sarah, those buttons are so precious!!!
    Love your cupcakes, and envy your piping skills. If I come over do you give private lessons? i'm so clumsy when it comes to piping frosting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks wonderful! I like the chocolate buttons.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chocolate buttons are so cute, and cupcakes are great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG Sarah those are beeyootiful! Love the buttons .. this is a recipe ill make since it contains neither butter nor eggs. exactly whay Ive ben looking for. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Sarah...I love those buttons! Very cute and I'm going to try your cupcakes for sure.

    So now I'm sure Oliver loves Bob The Builder right?...hahaa

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loving the actual "chocolate buttons" they look awesome! The cakes look delicious too! Thanks for leaving a lovely comment on my blog. Hugs Jillix

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the chocolate buttons on top! Definitely dress up the cupcakes =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Have just ordered my mould :) can't wait to play with it and make some for the grandbabies!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those chocolate buttons are the cutest!! These are adorable, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. well - blimey ! Thanks everyone.

    I guess you all like the new chocolate buttons ! I'm rather overwhelmed by the response. As a new mould, they have only been available a few days and are in high demand already. I'm so so pleased with them. It's great to see one of my ideas turn into a real final product. Makes it all worthwhile.... and I'm wearing a rather silly grin.

    Zurin - I can never believe how good these cupcakes are with no butter or eggs. I remember every time I make it again !

    Roxana - a few months ago, I was garbage at piping swirls. The only help I can offer remotely is this.... after beating your buttercream in the food mixer, take a wooden spoon to it. Helps get rid of a lot of air bubbles. If a little on the thick side, don't be scared to add a dribble more milk. It needs to be firm to hold shape, but soft and smooth with few bubbles. Use a big open star tip, like a Wilton 1M or similar - as wide as you can get. Try and keep the actual cake below the top of the wrapper if you can. PS - you are welcome to visit anytime you like :-)

    Ann - Bob the Builder ? Yes - how did you guess !! :-P

    Jilli - I'm so sorry your Dad is so poorly. Sending loads of best wishes for a good recovery after the chemo.

    ReplyDelete
  15. what a goodness!!! so yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hehe, Oliver's quote made me smile:) Congratulations on another great mould and for your design. It's too cute that it has to become a top seller. Your cupcakes look perfect. I'm intrigued by the vegan recipe and would love to try it sometime. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The buttons look so cute:)Awesome cupcakes and lovely clicks too!Congrats on the Top 9!

    ReplyDelete

I hope you have enjoyed my blog and found it useful. Please do leave any comments you may have - your feedback is much appreciated. Thanks for visiting !